p. Vannamei (White Pacific) Shrimp Welfare and Biodiversity rating proposal.
One being best….On behalf of the SLF – Shrimp Liberation Front…for those that remember..and also for those that don’t.
1. RAS, bio-secure containment system. Any location. Genetically managed specific for human consumption. SPF and local species allowed if fished in wild. Optimal culture and welfare conditions for specific bred shrimp in space, feed and harvest. Ag-tech organic best sub field.
2. Extensively grown Pacific coast where indigenous
low density…low or no feeding, tidal.
3. Semi intensively grown Pacific coast where indigenous
Certified by private certification organisations to a marketing standard. Set standards.
In 2007 a US educated great Dane of the UK shrimp industry once told me, as he rolled his eyes back into his head – was he trying to read his brain I thought? Is this how photographic memories work?…..and he had one ,
“The UK retailers all want aspirational, so let’s start by giving them set certified shrimp standards. We need to work with a certification organisation to help them to develop shrimp market led standards. As aspirational becomes reality we support standards developments with more aspirational targets that we agree with our customers to pursue. I want you to develop our Masterclass to present, and we need aspirational“
So the Aquaculture Certification Council was contacted. CFW ACC story later on here. Note no ASC. USFDA HACCP is model.
4. Semi intensively grown exotic in clay ponds.
Basically SE Asia but includes rest of world outside pacific Mexico to Northern Peru.
5. Intensive grown in Pacific region with liners.
Pacific Mexico to Northern Peru but no substrate for molting in natural state.
6. Grown with liners exotic.
As point 5 but associated also in market with visions of mangrove destruction and use of chemicals and antibiotics.
add in aspirational